Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

We All Start Somewhere



When I look at this project that has been sitting in my backyard for years I see myself. Let me explain.


I was at a conference last week where I listened to many pastors whom I respect and watch very carefully to see how they handle their lives, their churches, their ministry, and their heart.


As I listened I heard many things that spoke to my own life. Things like; "When something is happening to me, God wants to do something in me." and, "Stop doing 'sissy' church!" and, "God is more interested in your character than your comfort." and, "Guard your heart for it holds the dreams and issues of your life."


But the one that hit home for me, the one that really spoke to my inner thoughts was from the man who trained me in church planting, a man whom I look up to because I see the 'success' of his ministry and his work. He said, "I do not doubt the calling God has placed on me, but I doubt why He chose me."


That's it! That's how I feel most everyday of my life. I thought I was the only one. I'm not.


I know what God has called me to do. I know the method and the mission in which I can do it according to the way He has gifted me. I also know that I see more weakness than strength; more insecurity than confidence; more of what I lack than what I can offer. But I am not alone.

The Apostle Paul said that it was when he was weak that it was in that inability that God becomes strong. When I am insecure or lacking strength or knowledge or wisdom, God rises to the occasion and comes through for His plans and purposes. "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who are called according to His purpose for them." (Romans 8:28)


I am so glad that God does not need us to be everything we can be to come to Him. I am so glad that we do not need to be able to claim to have done everything right. I am so glad that He is more interested in defining us by what He has for us than by what has happened(or not happened) to us!


As I look at this project in the above picture I can see it's pretty much in tact but missing a few key things. It's been beat up, knocked around, abandoned, abused and neglected. It's been out of its purpose and use for a long time and it's in need of a lot of new parts and tender loving care from someone who understands its potential. As I look, I see myself sitting before a loving, all-knowing God who gave His best for me, has the best in mind for me, and has the best prepared for me, and I realize that we are all on a journey and we all start somewhere!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bro. Mike,

    I was invited to teach a Sunday School class full of 70-90 yr. olds. The lesson was the story of the two women, the baby, and the wisdom of Solomon.

    I really didn't know how in the world a middle-aged "whippersnapper" like myself would have anything to offer "The Greatest Generation".

    Here's what I found, "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5

    The class members assured me that wisdom had nothing to do with age. What a great God we have who invites us to just ask and we can have wisdom just like Solomon.

    Love,
    San

    ReplyDelete