Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Against the Wind

Looking out my window this morning at the blustery day that it is outside I am feeling pretty good as I sit inside a warm room with a cup of coffee glad to not be out in this wind. I don’t do well with wind. I’ve never liked it. A breeze is one thing, but wind always seems to have a way of frustrating you in whatever it is you want to be out doing. When you have an ideal day at 75 to 80 degrees and calm, mostly sunny skies, you can get a lot done with little resistance.

That’s it! Resistance. That’s what I don’t like about wind. Yesterday here it was in the 70’s, partly sunny and calm; today we’ll have a high in the 40’s with the wind blowing steady at 22 mph and rain with a possibility of being mixed with snow. A windy day means a change in the weather is coming – for better or worse.

A windy day can also mean good things too. It helps strengthen the root systems of plants and trees. A windy day will clear the dead branches out of the trees in the yard. It dries up the puddles and fields and clears the rooftops of debris. Good things, but still frustrating when trying to keep the boat in position on the lake, or paddle the canoe, or roof the shed, or get up on the ladder to fix that window, or keeping the dust from getting into your painting project.

When I see the windy day my first reaction is to not even get started. Wait for it to calm down. But, things have to get done so we step out into the wind, or resistance, and deal with it best we can.

I have been reading through the writings of James for the past few months for my personal growth. He’s got a “hands on” perspective of the gospel and it’s been quite challenging. I believe the point that James is trying to get across to us is that real Christians don’t just stand around. We don’t always get it done well, but we are to step out into the wind and get at it.

“Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Your anger can never make things right in God’s sight.” (1:19-20) “Remember, it is a message to obey, not just to listen to.” (1:22)

Ohhhhh, there will be windy days where it seems like you just can’t get anything done without resistance and frustration. He never suggests to wait it out until there is a calm or ideal circumstances but to just do it. Here’s how he starts his letter:

“Greetings! Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything…God blesses the people who patiently endure testing” (1:1-4, 12)

Bob Seger wrote about his understanding of life going from a young man into a middle age man, “Against the wind, we were running against the wind. We were young and strong, we were running against the wind…and the years rolled slowly past and I found myself alone…I found myself seeking shelter against the wind…I’m still running against the wind. I’m older now but still running against the wind.”

I believe the conclusion of this matter is not to seek shelter and leisure and a resistance free life, but one where we learn from our experiences and allow God to change our character which then affects our choices and behaviors as we step out into the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment